Dietitian Central for Nutrition Professionals   Home   Continuing Education    Dietitian Jobs      Dietitian Directory   Experts Corner Surveys Forums Advertisers
follow me on facebook   follow me on Twitter   follow me on instagram   follow me on pinterest   follow me on linkedin
• EXPERTS CORNER HOME • Profile of Experts
18,889 Registered Members    /    Join   Login


Our panel welcomes the opportunity to provide this free service to our online community. While experts are expected to answer questions to the best of their ability, it is also expected that members posing questions adhere to some general practice guidelines. Please...

Because of the various guidelines, rules, and regulations in different countries, Experts Corner is provided as a resource for practicing dietitians in the US only. Please do not ask questions regarding practices in countries other than the US.
Ask one question at a time.
Do not ask the same question to more than one expert. Duplicates will be removed.
Use your judgement as to how involved your question will be. Most experts have practices of their own and do charge for their consulting time.
You do not need to be part of the Health Care profession to pose a question. However, you do need to be a registered member of this Web site. Non health care professionals may join as part of the General Public group. Membership is free.
These are public boards. Please do not include personal messages, personal phone numbers or email addresses.
Information is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice. Always consult with your doctor if you feel you need medical advice or treatment.
Experts reserve the right to decline any question, e.g., lack of expertise, inappropriateness, conflict of interests, etc.
As with all postings on this Web site, please be courteous, do not post advertisements, or use inappropriate language.
Questions that have not received a response within 10 days may be removed at our discretion.

  General Nutrition
Question submitted on 04/12/08 by NutritionSway to Janet M Litwack:

What is LDN and how do you obtain it  How do you obtain CLC?
   Is this certification specifically through WIC?  I am an
unregistered dietitian with a BSN.  I am pursuing liscensure
as an RD.  I am also pregnant with my first baby and am
considering going into the same categories of nutrition that
you are in.  Do you recommend any certain books, study
materials, or websites.  I work in San Antonio and Austin TX
as a Consultant Dietitian; of course under another dietitian.

Any advise you have will be great!

  Response provided on 04/12/08 by Janet M Litwack:

Hi NutritionSway,
'LDN' stands for 'licensed dietitian/ nutritionist' and it
is only offered in states that require licensure. Once
you've passed the RD exam (thus becoming a registered
dietitian), you can apply to your state for licensure (if
that's what your state requires).
'CLC' stands for 'certified lactation counselor' and it is
earned after taking a specialized course offered to
healthcare professionals and passing the exam given at the
end of the training session. It is not done specifically
through WIC. If you're interested in finding out if you
qualify to take the CLC training course, you can always get
in touch with the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice,
Inc. at 508-833-1500 for more info or go to their website at
Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's a very exciting time
in your life & a great time to become more educated about
lactation. I was pregnant with my first child when I took
the course & it was the best preparation for breastfeeding
(no book will give you this kind of education). 
In terms of books or websites, I'm not really sure what
types of books you're referring to, but if you're looking to
earn money in the field of lactation education & you're not
planning on taking your RD exam, the CLC course is the way
to go...once you earn the CLC credential, you can probably
get a job at your local hospital as a lactation educator.
Good luck with all of you endeavors & your pregnancy!
- Janet


*Information is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice. Always consult with your doctor if you feel you need medical advice or treatment.
**If you find an entry that contains erroneous or misleading information, please let us know. Email us at
***Questions that remain unanswered for longer than 10 days may be removed at our discretion.


This expert is not currently an "Active" member of our experts panel.