As a School RDN, I am interested in transitioning into a career with Functional Nutrition. What are some things I can do to begin making that transition?
Both of these questions may already be included in the presentation: * Are functional nutrition counseling and laboratory tests expenses considered out of pocket or eligible for reimbursement by health insurance providers? If yes, which types of tests or conditions are most likely to be eligible for reimbursement. * Are there best practice Functional Nutrition training programs that are currently recognized by the ADA and the American Medical Association?
Can Functional Nutrition therapies include supplements and herbal remedies that are not FDA approved?
Can RDNs obtain certification to practice Functional Nutrition through the Institute for Functional Medicine, or can it be done through the AND?
How do you bill or what can you bill for Functional Nutrition?
The AND has a specialty practice group called DIFM (Diet in Integrative and Functional Medicine). Is there a difference between Integrative and Functional Medicine?
What is AND's (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics) stance on Functional Nutrition?
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2019 Revised Standards of Practice and Professional Performance for Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine: https://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(19)30194-7/fulltext
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Position Paper on Micronutrient Supplementation: https://www.eatrightpro.org/-/media/eatrightpro-files/practice/position-and-practice-papers/position-papers/micronutrientsupplementation.pdf
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Guidelines on the Recommendation and Sale of Dietary Supplements: https://www.eatrightpro.org/-/media/eatrightpro-files/practice/position-and-practice-papers/position-papers/micronutrientsupplementation.pdf
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Certificate of Training Program in Integrative and Functional Nutrition: https://www.eatrightstore.org/cpe-opportunities/certificates-of-training/integrative-and-functional-nutrition-module-1
- Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy (IFNA): https://www.ifnacademy.com/
- Institute for Functional Medicine Training: https://www.ifm.org/certification-membership/certification-program/certification-process-and-requirements/
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database: https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/