Are there any studies that show the risk/benefit of following a ketogenic diet when an individual has NAFLD or hyperlipidemia?
Can you comment on those who choose to do a keto diet combined with intermittent fasting as a means to lose weight?
During you research on this topic, did you come across many RDs that recommend/ prescribe the keto diet to patients and clients? Is this diet being embraced amongst the majority of dietitian professionals now for diabetes and obesity management?
How about the nutritional adequacy of Keto?
I am somewhat new at this and I find it so much more difficult to calculate an actual diet than to calculate a formula. I can calculate the ratios, but I have a hard time translating it into food. Any recommendations/resources?
I run a successful weight loss program. I've had a ton of participants use Keto with great results. As an RDN would liability be any different with clients using Keto vs. any other eating plan?
I would like to know how to calculate the ratio of different types of ketogenic diet and translate it into meal plan. Out of the different types of ketogenic diet which one can be applied to to people with one or more medical conditions like diabetes type 1or 2, with or without heart issues. Obese/ overweight patients with thyroid issues , or with patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
I would like to know thoughts on a modified keto approach for Diabetes and Heart disease. I see many practitioners using this successfully.
Is the ketogenic diet intended to follow long-term? Is there a limit to how long a person should follow it?
Many health care staff members at our facility are using the keto diet for weight loss. What are the studies showing about its long term success rate? Also, what is the research showing with cancer and the keto diet?
Please discuss the safety of eating a ketogenic diet for athletes. With carbohydrate being the optimum fuel source for both endurance and power/strength athletes, how safe or unsafe is it to eat such a low amount of carbohydrate, and how could it affect performance?
There seems to be a lot of keto shakes and keto drink type options on the direct market and direct sales market. I am mostly curious how these likely highly concentrated artificially sweetened beverages can impact long term GI issues or sugar addictions.
We see weight loss with the ketogenic diet. However, what does the research show for long term success-are these clients keeping the weight off or are they regaining the weight when they stop following the diet?
What is your opinion on the Keto diet for preoperative bariatric surgery patients who are required by their insurance to lose 5% of their weight prior to the surgery?
What nutrients (vitamins and minerals) is a person going to be deficient in, on a ketogenic diet?
- Wheless, J. W. (2008). History of the ketogenic diet. Epilepsia, 49, 3-5.
- Saslow, L. R., Mason, A. E., Kim, S., Goldman, V., Ploutz-Snyder, R., Bayandorian, H., ... & Moskowitz, J. T. (2017). An online intervention comparing a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle recommendations versus a plate method diet in overweight individuals with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of medical Internet research, 19(2), e36.
- Kirkpatrick, C. F., Bolick, J. P., Kris-Etherton, P. M., Sikand, G., Aspry, K. E., Soffer, D. E., ... & Maki, K. C. (2019). Review of current evidence and clinical recommendations on the effects of low-carbohydrate and very-low-carbohydrate (including ketogenic) diets for the management of body weight and other cardiometabolic risk factors: A scientific statement from the National Lipid Association Nutrition and Lifestyle Task Force. Journal of clinical lipidology.
- Turton, J., Brinkworth, G. D., Field, R., Parker, H., & Rooney, K. (2019). An evidence‐based approach to developing low‐carbohydrate diets for type 2 diabetes management: A systematic review of interventions and methods. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism.
- Hamdy, O., Tasabehji, M. W., Elseaidy, T., Tomah, S., Ashrafzadeh, S., & Mottalib, A. (2018). Fat versus carbohydrate-based energy-restricted diets for weight loss in patients with type 2 diabetes. Current diabetes reports, 18(12), 128.
- Gjuladin-Hellon, T., Davies, I. G., Penson, P., & Amiri Baghbadorani, R. (2019). Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrition reviews, 77(3), 161-180.
- Carbohydrate Restriction in Type 1 Diabetes: A Realistic Therapy for Improved Glycaemic Control and Athletic Performance?
- What is the Ketogenic Diet. (2019). Retrieved 20 October 2019, from https://www.eatright.org/health/weight-loss/fad-diets/what-is-the-ketogenic-diet.
- Jensen, M. D., Ryan, D. H., Apovian, C. M., Ard, J. D., Comuzzie, A. G., Donato, K. A., ... & Loria, C. M. (2014). 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. Journal of the American college of cardiology, 63(25 Part B), 2985-3023.
- Caprio, M., Infante, M., Moriconi, E., Armani, A., Fabbri, A., Mantovani, G., ... & Donini, L. M. (2019). Very-low-calorie ketogenic diet (VLCKD) in the management of metabolic diseases: systematic review and consensus statement from the Italian Society of Endocrinology (SIE). Journal of endocrinological investigation, 1-22.
- Oliveira, C. L., Mattingly, S., Schirrmacher, R., Sawyer, M. B., Fine, E. J., & Prado, C. M. (2018). A nutritional perspective of ketogenic diet in Cancer: a narrative review. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 118(4), 668-688.
- Gershuni, V. M., Yan, S. L., & Medici, V. (2018). Nutritional ketosis for weight management and reversal of metabolic syndrome. Current nutrition reports, 7(3), 97-106.
- Castro, A., Gomez-Arbelaez, D., Crujeiras, A., Granero, R., Aguera, Z., Jimenez-Murcia, S., ... & Casanueva, F. (2018). Effect of a very low-calorie ketogenic diet on food and alcohol cravings, physical and sexual activity, sleep disturbances, and quality of life in obese patients. Nutrients, 10(10), 1348.