Are there nutrient or drug interactions a dietitian should be aware of?
How is CBD metabolized?
Is CBD legal?
Is CBD safe to use during pregnancy and lactation?
Is there data to show CBD is effective?
What are the take home messages dietitians should have about CBD?
What is CBD anyway and where does it come from?
What is the safety profile of CBD?
You say it interacts with the ECS – what is that?
- Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, Pub. L. 115-334 (2018). (the 2018 Farm Bill).
- Ahn K, McKinney MK, Cravatt BF. Enzymatic Pathways That Regulate Endocannabinoid Signaling. Chem Rev. 2008 May ; 108(5): 1687–1707.
- Bonn-Miller MO, Loflin MJE, Thomas BF, Marcu JP, Hyke T, Vandrey R. Labeling accuracy of cannabidiol extracts sold online. JAMA. 2017;318(17):1708-1709.
- Cannabidiol. https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB09061. Updated n.p. Last Accessed 9/16/19.
- CBD 101. Prevention Special Report. 2018:1-95.
- Clinical trial registry. https://clinicaltrials.gov/. Accessed 9/16/19.
- Greenwald P. Β-carotene and lung cancer: A lesson for future chemoprevention investigations? JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2003;95(1):E1. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/95.1.E1.
- Corroon J, Phillips JA. A cross-sectional study of cannabidiol users. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2018;3(1):152-161. doi: 10.1089/can.2018.0006 [doi].
- FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Questions and Answers (Content current as of 4-2-2019) at https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-questions-and-answers#whatare.
- How to read CBD labels: a crash course on labeling. Hemp Pure. https://www.hempurecbd.com/how-to-read-cbd-labels-a-crash-course-on-labeling-/. Updated n.p. Last accessed 9/16/19.
- Hudak J, Stenglein C. DEA guidance is clear: Cannabidiol is illegal and always has been; https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/02/06/cannabidiol-illegal-and-always-has-been/.
- Hudak J. The farm bill, hemp legalization and the status of CBD: An explainer; www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgove/2018/12/12/the-farm-bill-hemp-and-cbd-explainer/. Updated 12/14/18.
- Lu HC, Mackie K. An introduction to the endogenous cannabinoid system. Biol Psychiatry. 2016;79(7):516-525. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2015.07.028.
- MacCallum CA, Russo EB. Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration and dosing. Eur J Intern Med. 2018;49:12-19.
- Many unanswered questions, concerns about CBD products, says FDA acting chief at first public hearing By William Wan May 31 https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/31/amid-flood-cbd-products-fda-holds-first-public-hearing-cannabis-extract/?noredirect=on
- McPartland JM. Cannabis systematics at the levels of family, genus, and species. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2018;3(1):203-212.
- Murphy H (28 March 2019). "At 71, She's Never Felt Pain or Anxiety. Now Scientists Know Why". The New York Times. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- Nutrient claims. FDA. https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/label-claims-conventional-foods-and-dietary-supplements. Last Accessed 9/19/19.
- O'Connor SM, Lietzan E. The surprising reach of FDA regulation of cannabis, even after descheduling. Am Univ Law Rev. 2019;68(3):823-925.
- Pisanti S, Malfitano AM, Ciaglia E, et al. Cannabidiol: State of the art and new challenges for therapeutic applications. PharmacolTher. 2017;175:133-150.
- Potential CBD - drug interactions. U.S. National Library of Medicine. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/1439.html#DrugInteractions.
- Pressman P, Clemens RA. Neurodevelopment and exposure to cannabis. Nutrition Today. 2019;54(3).
- Reitas HR, Isaac AR, Malcher-Lopes R, Diaz BL, Trevenzoli IH, De Melo Reis, R. A. Polyunsaturated fatty acids and endocannabinoids in health and disease. NutrNeurosci. 2018;21(10):695-714.
- Rimonabant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimonabant. Updated n.p. Last Accessed 9/16/19.
- Schrot RJ, Hubbard JR. Cannabinoids: Medical implications. Ann Med. 2016;48(3):128-141.
- Taylor L, Gidal B, Blakey G, Tayo B, Morrison G. A. A phase I, randomized, Double Blind, Placebo Controlled, single ascending dose, multiple dose, and food effect trial of the safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics of highly purified cannabidiol in healthy subjects. CNS Drugs. 2108;32:1053-1067.
- World Health Organization. Cannabidiol (CBD): Critical review report. Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Fortieth Meeting. June 2018.