I am asking for help here. Can someone tell me how to pass this exam. I have taken it so many times that I am ashame to look at myself in the mornings. I am depressed, frustrated, tired, feeling useless, incompetent, stupid, penniless with all this money that I spent on internship plus the countless 200 dollars spent for re- exam, study, on line practice exam guide- flash card etc.Every time I take it my scores are like 23, 24, 24, and it goes on and on- with the usual sorry you failed. How sad is this. What am I doing wrong here.? I took 8 days off from work to finish studying and went today- and my god here I am failing. The sad part is that the questions were so long and jumbled that by the time you finish reading the garbage that have nothing to do with patient care, you forget the question while time is ticking away. The questions are so long my god. I had a very good internship with some awsome preceptors in an awsome hospital, and here I am cant pass. Some advise , any advice would be welcome. I fell like I am losing my mind here.

I am asking for help here. Can someone tell me how to pass this exam. I have taken it so many times that I am ashame to look at myself in the mornings. I am depressed, frustrated, tired, feeling useless, incompetent, stupid, penniless with all this money that I spent on internship plus the countless 200 dollars spent for re- exam, study, on line practice exam guide- flash card etc.Every time I take it my scores are like 23, 24, 24, and it goes on and on- with the usual sorry you failed. How sad is this. What am I doing wrong here.? I took 8 days off from work to finish studying and went today- and my god here I am failing. The sad part is that the questions were so long and jumbled that by the time you finish reading the garbage that have nothing to do with patient care, you forget the question while time is ticking away. The questions are so long my god. I had a very good internship with some awsome preceptors in an awsome hospital, and here I am cant pass. Some advise , any advice would be welcome. I fell like I am losing my mind here.
When you say that the questions just go on and on are they situational questions or calculations? Where are you having problems?
Posted by Dinner:
When you say that the questions just go on and on are they situational questions or calculations? Where are you having problems? Posted by Dinner:<BR>I am asking for help here. Can someone tell me how to pass this exam. I have taken it so many times that I am ashame to look at myself in the mornings. I am depressed, frustrated, tired, feeling useless, incompetent, stupid, penniless with all this money that I spent on internship plus the countless 200 dollars spent for re- exam, study, on line practice exam guide- flash card etc.Every time I take it my scores are like 23, 24, 24, and it goes on and on- with the usual sorry you failed. How sad is this. What am I doing wrong here.? I took 8 days off from work to finish studying and went today- and my god here I am failing. The sad part is that the questions were so long and jumbled that by the time you finish reading the garbage that have nothing to do with patient care, you forget the question while time is ticking away. The questions are so long my god. I had a very good internship with some awsome preceptors in an awsome hospital, and here I am cant pass. Some advise , any advice would be welcome. I fell like I am losing my mind here.
Posted by Dinner:
Please do not give up I would encourage you to find new graduates and study with as often as you can. Good Luck
Posted by Dinner:<BR>I am asking for help here. Can someone tell me how to pass this exam. I have taken it so many times that I am ashame to look at myself in the mornings. I am depressed, frustrated, tired, feeling useless, incompetent, stupid, penniless with all this money that I spent on internship plus the countless 200 dollars spent for re- exam, study, on line practice exam guide- flash card etc.Every time I take it my scores are like 23, 24, 24, and it goes on and on- with the usual sorry you failed. How sad is this. What am I doing wrong here.? I took 8 days off from work to finish studying and went today- and my god here I am failing. The sad part is that the questions were so long and jumbled that by the time you finish reading the garbage that have nothing to do with patient care, you forget the question while time is ticking away. The questions are so long my god. I had a very good internship with some awsome preceptors in an awsome hospital, and here I am cant pass. Some advise , any advice would be welcome. I fell like I am losing my mind here. Please do not give up I would encourage you to find new graduates and study with as often as you can. Good Luck

Dinner, please hang in there. Frustration and anxiety will prevent you from passing. Here are some tips that I received when I was attempting to take the test some time ago. Forget what you do in your current job. The practices there may be different than what the CDR is looking for. Remember it is a test for entry level dietitians and many times your experiences on the job can get in the way. Read the last sentence of the question first, especially on the long winded ones. Then start again at the beginning. Very often the last sentence will actually ask you what they are looking for. Then by reading the question from the start you can pullout important information. Ask for scratch paper and pencils, not the whiteboard and marker thing. Tell them you will need room to write down formulas and do calculations. The board will not work. Take the test late in the day, many times you will have the room to yourself, this can greatly reduce stress and helps you to concentrate. Always keep in mind that the most common errors will also be listed, so just because the answer you got is there does not necessarily make it the right one. Sign up for all the free stuff you can. RDSTUDY.com has a free video of the week and they each usually come with 3 to 5 additional quiz questions to make sure you understand it. Sounds like you have a lot of materials, so no need to buy more - BUT you will need to go about studying a different way. Start making your own flash cards on things that you do not know. Go by the CDR reference guide and try to make sure that you understand each item on their list. Do not give up. I think the biggest challenge is that you are currently in the field, so that is creating issues. Try to think like you just finished your internship. Get with some other individuals, whether on line or in person to study with. Hang in there, your day will come!

Dinner, please hang in there. Frustration and anxiety will prevent you from passing. Here are some tips that I received when I was attempting to take the test some time ago. Forget what you do in your current job. The practices there may be different than what the CDR is looking for. Remember it is a test for entry level dietitians and many times your experiences on the job can get in the way. Read the last sentence of the question first, especially on the long winded ones. Then start again at the beginning. Very often the last sentence will actually ask you what they are looking for. Then by reading the question from the start you can pullout important information. Ask for scratch paper and pencils, not the whiteboard and marker thing. Tell them you will need room to write down formulas and do calculations. The board will not work. Take the test late in the day, many times you will have the room to yourself, this can greatly reduce stress and helps you to concentrate. Always keep in mind that the most common errors will also be listed, so just because the answer you got is there does not necessarily make it the right one. Sign up for all the free stuff you can. RDSTUDY.com has a free video of the week and they each usually come with 3 to 5 additional quiz questions to make sure you understand it. Sounds like you have a lot of materials, so no need to buy more - BUT you will need to go about studying a different way. Start making your own flash cards on things that you do not know. Go by the CDR reference guide and try to make sure that you understand each item on their list. Do not give up. I think the biggest challenge is that you are currently in the field, so that is creating issues. Try to think like you just finished your internship. Get with some other individuals, whether on line or in person to study with. Hang in there, your day will come!

I had the same situation. I just passed my test finally yesterday! Everyone here has great advice. I have to agree with the RD from Chester.....sometimes you have too much study materials. Try to push everything off to the side and mentally prepare again. Make the next date and then mark it on the calendar. Organize materials. First follow the CDR outline because facts and scenarios will be from the outline. Use textbooks like whitney's nutrition and Krause and afew good food systems management and basic nutrition science books. Inman's was good too. Then see if you can get one month of RDstudy.com. Start from the first day working your way to the end. The first month just go over all of the exam questions and content you can remember from the exam that you were stumped on. Even if you can't remember exactly, ask the company by email about the topics and you'll get a thorough explanation back. This helped me immensely. Keep positive, and you'll get your confidence back the more you keep looking up confusing topics. I wonder if you can get in touch with any people from school or internship to help you study or offer alittle bit of tutoring/study buddy. I did get anti-anxiety meds and saw a therapist who helped me to not be so mad at the ADA/CDR and others around me who did not understand what I was going through....frustration,depression,anxiety, and more. I felt hopeless, but I kept working at finding the answers....use as many people as possible to help you and you will pass!!! Have a binder just for calculations..look through the CDR outline and Hess and Hunt for what calculations you need to know and start practicing them. Don't give up, I didn't and I finally passed!

I had the same situation. I just passed my test finally yesterday! Everyone here has great advice. I have to agree with the RD from Chester.....sometimes you have too much study materials. Try to push everything off to the side and mentally prepare again. Make the next date and then mark it on the calendar. Organize materials. First follow the CDR outline because facts and scenarios will be from the outline. Use textbooks like whitney's nutrition and Krause and afew good food systems management and basic nutrition science books. Inman's was good too. Then see if you can get one month of RDstudy.com. Start from the first day working your way to the end. The first month just go over all of the exam questions and content you can remember from the exam that you were stumped on. Even if you can't remember exactly, ask the company by email about the topics and you'll get a thorough explanation back. This helped me immensely. Keep positive, and you'll get your confidence back the more you keep looking up confusing topics. I wonder if you can get in touch with any people from school or internship to help you study or offer alittle bit of tutoring/study buddy. I did get anti-anxiety meds and saw a therapist who helped me to not be so mad at the ADA/CDR and others around me who did not understand what I was going through....frustration,depression,anxiety, and more. I felt hopeless, but I kept working at finding the answers....use as many people as possible to help you and you will pass!!! Have a binder just for calculations..look through the CDR outline and Hess and Hunt for what calculations you need to know and start practicing them. Don't give up, I didn't and I finally passed!

I feel like I wrote that. I just took my test a couple of days ago, answered all 145 questions and still made a 24. It should have known by then whether or not I had enough right/wrong. It is completely ridiculous that 145 max questions should be answered in 150 minutes. There are hardly any basic 'what is this' questions. You have to know what it is dealing with, terminology, and then put your subjective thinking into play. Not being able to skip the harder questions and go back(LIKE WE ARE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL WHEN TAKING A TEST TO SAVE TIME) makes me spend more time to make sure I didn't read a question or answer wrong and if I'm 100% sure of my answer. My advice will be the same I gave myself after I took the test this most recent time--don't put off studying or avoid it because all of the info will just have to be relearned. Just go by what the teaching says and don't refer to current or past jobs. When you come across something that has been on the test, make a note of it, but don't count on it being on the next one. Inman's is a nice starting point, but you have to retain all of the info and know how to use it in examples. I was confident with all of the food service and community/clinical questions, but those darn SUBJECTIVE questions. I would love to know how they come up with the right answer for those. Clients are not the same so when I think of a client in a certain community I think of them in this way. Basically you get lucky and get the test with all the stuff you know or you're screwed and end up with a test with the same question over and over again in different formats because you don't know it.

I feel like I wrote that. I just took my test a couple of days ago, answered all 145 questions and still made a 24. It should have known by then whether or not I had enough right/wrong. It is completely ridiculous that 145 max questions should be answered in 150 minutes. There are hardly any basic 'what is this' questions. You have to know what it is dealing with, terminology, and then put your subjective thinking into play. Not being able to skip the harder questions and go back(LIKE WE ARE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL WHEN TAKING A TEST TO SAVE TIME) makes me spend more time to make sure I didn't read a question or answer wrong and if I'm 100% sure of my answer. My advice will be the same I gave myself after I took the test this most recent time--don't put off studying or avoid it because all of the info will just have to be relearned. Just go by what the teaching says and don't refer to current or past jobs. When you come across something that has been on the test, make a note of it, but don't count on it being on the next one. Inman's is a nice starting point, but you have to retain all of the info and know how to use it in examples. I was confident with all of the food service and community/clinical questions, but those darn SUBJECTIVE questions. I would love to know how they come up with the right answer for those. Clients are not the same so when I think of a client in a certain community I think of them in this way. Basically you get lucky and get the test with all the stuff you know or you're screwed and end up with a test with the same question over and over again in different formats because you don't know it.

Did you take your exam yet? Just was wondering if you didn't, maybe I can help w/anything?

Did you take your exam yet? Just was wondering if you didn't, maybe I can help w/anything?
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft