Hello all,

I’m a fairly new dietitian. I’ve been practicing in clinical a little over a year. I initially started my career in community and wanted a change. My facility is overdue for a state survey and I’m anxious and nervous about the process because it is my first. I have tried my best to document and intervene as best as I know. Sometime I am very nervous and the job is a lot of pressure. Just wondering if anyone can offer any insights about the process? What was it like for you? Have you had any good or bad experiences and how did you overcome them? Thank you!

Hello all, I’m a fairly new dietitian. I’ve been practicing in clinical a little over a year. I initially started my career in community and wanted a change. My facility is overdue for a state survey and I’m anxious and nervous about the process because it is my first. I have tried my best to document and intervene as best as I know. Sometime I am very nervous and the job is a lot of pressure. Just wondering if anyone can offer any insights about the process? What was it like for you? Have you had any good or bad experiences and how did you overcome them? Thank you!

Give the surveyors as little information as possible (no more than what they ask for unless it helps you). Nobody enjoys State survey and people tend to get bent out of shape but the best thing to do is stay calm. I tell myself I've been doing my best all year and that's really all I can do. Surveyors want to see that you know your residents and that members of the IDCP team communicate and are on the same page. At least one of them will observe dining services, preferably in a dining room, so it's good to be present for that and make sure service is smooth and aides are feeding residents properly (i.e. sitting down!). As you already know.......document, document, document. Be on top of all significant weight changes (even the gains). Read the nursing department's 24-hour reports in case the nurses aren't great with letting you know when something pertinent to you is happening (e.g. patient not eating or refusing supplements, new wounds, etc...). I hope this helps. Good luck!

Give the surveyors as little information as possible (no more than what they ask for unless it helps you). Nobody enjoys State survey and people tend to get bent out of shape but the best thing to do is stay calm. I tell myself I've been doing my best all year and that's really all I can do. Surveyors want to see that you know your residents and that members of the IDCP team communicate and are on the same page. At least one of them will observe dining services, preferably in a dining room, so it's good to be present for that and make sure service is smooth and aides are feeding residents properly (i.e. sitting down!). As you already know.......document, document, document. Be on top of all significant weight changes (even the gains). Read the nursing department's 24-hour reports in case the nurses aren't great with letting you know when something pertinent to you is happening (e.g. patient not eating or refusing supplements, new wounds, etc...). I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your insight! I've heard much of what you have detailed esp giving as little info as possible. I have tried to document as best as possible however, my supervisor is very anal about what I write and how I write it; I feel like i'm on pins and needles every moment. I have never seen the 24-hour reports until you mentioned it; I will definitely find out how to access and read them. Nsg often keeps me out of the loop. Thanks again! much appreciated. smile

Thank you so much for your insight! I've heard much of what you have detailed esp giving as little info as possible. I have tried to document as best as possible however, my supervisor is very anal about what I write and how I write it; I feel like i'm on pins and needles every moment. I have never seen the 24-hour reports until you mentioned it; I will definitely find out how to access and read them. Nsg often keeps me out of the loop. Thanks again! much appreciated. :D

Hi!

My facility is actually due for the surveyors (DOH) any time now and this is going to be my third time. Last year, they looked at weight loss/gain (desired/not desired, weight goal/parameters, plan for them to lose/gain), comparing diets in PCC (Point Click Care system) vs. diet menus (RDS), list of modified texture diets. You should ONLY provide them with the information they ask you and never provide them any list of weights (if you have a weight book, do not give them that book). 1. if they want weekly/monthly weights- ask who the specific resident is, month, day of the weights they want). MOST importantly, check all of your CARE PLANS if they are updated. Also, check your documentations! I'm always nervous when I'm being questioned and I learned to just be calm and provide them information they need as quickly as possible, as long as you know all of your residents you will be okay!. lastly, never stand near them or sit next to them if you're in the nursing station etc because they will ask you more questions. Just stay somewhere where you can be easily reached (Maybe your office?). I hope these helps!

Hi! My facility is actually due for the surveyors (DOH) any time now and this is going to be my third time. Last year, they looked at weight loss/gain (desired/not desired, weight goal/parameters, plan for them to lose/gain), comparing diets in PCC (Point Click Care system) vs. diet menus (RDS), list of modified texture diets. You should ONLY provide them with the information they ask you and never provide them any list of weights (if you have a weight book, do not give them that book). 1. if they want weekly/monthly weights- ask who the specific resident is, month, day of the weights they want). MOST importantly, check all of your CARE PLANS if they are updated. Also, check your documentations! I'm always nervous when I'm being questioned and I learned to just be calm and provide them information they need as quickly as possible, as long as you know all of your residents you will be okay!. lastly, never stand near them or sit next to them if you're in the nursing station etc because they will ask you more questions. Just stay somewhere where you can be easily reached (Maybe your office?). I hope these helps!
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft