I was told by one of my preceptors during my dietetic internship that for the first year out of school supervisors keep a close eye on new dietitians. I recently accepted a PRN dietitian at an acute care hospital with a census count of approximately 80 patients. I will be be working Saturdays alone in about 3 weeks and am concerned about being able to complete the number of assessments (15) and follow-ups required. How many assessments should a new dietitian be able to complete in an 8 hour day?

I was told by one of my preceptors during my dietetic internship that for the first year out of school supervisors keep a close eye on new dietitians. I recently accepted a PRN dietitian at an acute care hospital with a census count of approximately 80 patients. I will be be working Saturdays alone in about 3 weeks and am concerned about being able to complete the number of assessments (15) and follow-ups required. How many assessments should a new dietitian be able to complete in an 8 hour day?

I feel like RDs only in clinical setting tend to get so controlling and annoying about everything "keeping a close eye"... Seriously? You got your license and you know what you're doing. You're ready to practice as an entry level RD so disregard what your preceptor told you. Nobody should be keeping a close eye on you anymore, you're a professional! They should be available for when YOU need them!

Anyway, I think 15 assessments + follow ups sound a bit crazy. You CAN get them done, it's just you most likely will not be able to get it all done in an 8hr day and usually in clinical, they somehow need you to complete everything in 8hrs. Ask your manager if it's ok for you to stay longer if you need to.

I feel like RDs only in clinical setting tend to get so controlling and annoying about everything "keeping a close eye"... Seriously? You got your license and you know what you're doing. You're ready to practice as an entry level RD so disregard what your preceptor told you. Nobody should be keeping a close eye on you anymore, you're a professional! They should be available for when YOU need them! Anyway, I think 15 assessments + follow ups sound a bit crazy. You CAN get them done, it's just you most likely will not be able to get it all done in an 8hr day and usually in clinical, they somehow need you to complete everything in 8hrs. Ask your manager if it's ok for you to stay longer if you need to.
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft