Hello,

I am currently a dietetic intern and will be graduating from the program in 14 weeks. After going through so many rotations I am hearing so many different things and want some advise/guidance. What should my first starting job be? My end goal is a job that only works weekdays, what jobs besides school food service has this perk? I am open to any advise or input. Thank you so much everyone!

Hello, I am currently a dietetic intern and will be graduating from the program in 14 weeks. After going through so many rotations I am hearing so many different things and want some advise/guidance. What should my first starting job be? My end goal is a job that only works weekdays, what jobs besides school food service has this perk? I am open to any advise or input. Thank you so much everyone!

I'm also a student and found this board today planning to ask a 'first job' question!
I've been looking at various job postings (just for fun, I gradate May 2019) and they all require experience. I'm not sure how to get experience being a dietitian if you have to have experience to get the job! I was thinking it would be like a teaching degree and the degree itself is experience!

My thoughts on your question...I think a PRN would be a great gig! You wouldn't have to agree if it was a weekend. Where there are RDs, there are PRNs!
I haven't met an RD that works weekends though....

I'm also a student and found this board today planning to ask a 'first job' question! I've been looking at various job postings (just for fun, I gradate May 2019) and they all require experience. I'm not sure how to get experience being a dietitian if you have to have experience to get the job! I was thinking it would be like a teaching degree and the degree itself is experience! My thoughts on your question...I think a PRN would be a great gig! You wouldn't have to agree if it was a weekend. Where there are RDs, there are PRNs! I haven't met an RD that works weekends though....

So to both of you, all jobs will say they want one year experience but hire ppl without because not much RD competition. So they will hire the ones with potential of being trained and they can tell that by your confidence in your interview and what your references have to say. Yet to get the interview, you need to tailor your resume towards their expectations. Always highlight leadership skills and have some examples to share during interview. While you are in school you should be diversifying yourself through outside work or volunteer ships. I didn't work in field but volunteered 2 years clinical at hospital, and in every area of Dietetics while in school and sold that as experience and how diversified my background was during interview. And back it up during interview by saying "So you see because I have some small experience across the board I could choose to go in any direction, yet I have followed "whatever your interviewing for i.e. dialysis" since becoming fascinated by it during my studies and the time I spent during internship or volunteering. So on and so forth. Per diems, are the easiest to get. Yet I did get a full-time renal (dialysis) position with no experience and was hired on the spot. Its a tough position but very rewarding! Good Luck!

So to both of you, all jobs will say they want one year experience but hire ppl without because not much RD competition. So they will hire the ones with potential of being trained and they can tell that by your confidence in your interview and what your references have to say. Yet to get the interview, you need to tailor your resume towards their expectations. Always highlight leadership skills and have some examples to share during interview. While you are in school you should be diversifying yourself through outside work or volunteer ships. I didn't work in field but volunteered 2 years clinical at hospital, and in every area of Dietetics while in school and sold that as experience and how diversified my background was during interview. And back it up during interview by saying "So you see because I have some small experience across the board I could choose to go in any direction, yet I have followed "whatever your interviewing for i.e. dialysis" since becoming fascinated by it during my studies and the time I spent during internship or volunteering. So on and so forth. Per diems, are the easiest to get. Yet I did get a full-time renal (dialysis) position with no experience and was hired on the spot. Its a tough position but very rewarding! Good Luck!

I think your first job should be whatever interests you. I think there are many options for weekday-only careers, though you may have to look around some. I happened to fall into a clinical position in a small hospital and I work 8a-4p Mon-Fri. No evenings, weekends and 6 paid holidays. I have a lot of flexibility here and can adjust my schedule a little bit if I need to, but I rarely do. Generally, most hospital facilities need someone available on weekends and holidays, but I carry a pager, so we use that as a safety net. That said, I have been here 10 years now, and have only been paged, outside of work hours, 2 times. smile

I think your first job should be whatever interests you. I think there are many options for weekday-only careers, though you may have to look around some. I happened to fall into a clinical position in a small hospital and I work 8a-4p Mon-Fri. No evenings, weekends and 6 paid holidays. I have a lot of flexibility here and can adjust my schedule a little bit if I need to, but I rarely do. Generally, most hospital facilities need someone available on weekends and holidays, but I carry a pager, so we use that as a safety net. That said, I have been here 10 years now, and have only been paged, outside of work hours, 2 times. :)

I also agree with madea65. I have NEVER been down for a job that I have interviewed for, even when it was one "requiring" experience and a MS degree (before I finished my MS). I would apply for any and all that interest you. You never know who they will select!

I also agree with madea65. I have NEVER been down for a job that I have interviewed for, even when it was one "requiring" experience and a MS degree (before I finished my MS). I would apply for any and all that interest you. You never know who they will select!
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft