Is there a recommendation for flushes with J tubes? Ive always done their extra water needs divided by the number of hours on TF. So if a person was to be on tubefeeding at night for 12 hours, then I would do the formula at 100ml/hr x 12 hours at night + flushes at 75ml q1h x 12 hours. however I have co-workers that prefer to do the flushes at like 150ml q4h with that same TF. Ive always thought that much volume (TF and water) was too much through a j tube. And then during the day they would have to re-connect to the pump to give the other flushes? Is it just preference or are their reasons to do one over the other?

Is there a recommendation for flushes with J tubes? Ive always done their extra water needs divided by the number of hours on TF. So if a person was to be on tubefeeding at night for 12 hours, then I would do the formula at 100ml/hr x 12 hours at night + flushes at 75ml q1h x 12 hours. however I have co-workers that prefer to do the flushes at like 150ml q4h with that same TF. Ive always thought that much volume (TF and water) was too much through a j tube. And then during the day they would have to re-connect to the pump to give the other flushes? Is it just preference or are their reasons to do one over the other?

Sounds like preference to me. I would personally do consistent flushes at 75ml/hr so the patient may not feel so full.

If the patient doesn’t have intolerance issues with the 150ml flushes then go for it. But it’s not recommended to bolus feed into the Jtube as the jejunum cannot hold as much as the stomach.

Sounds like preference to me. I would personally do consistent flushes at 75ml/hr so the patient may not feel so full. If the patient doesn’t have intolerance issues with the 150ml flushes then go for it. But it’s not recommended to bolus feed into the Jtube as the jejunum cannot hold as much as the stomach.

So I work in a hospital and it’s just a nocturnal I usually do Q2 or Q4, unless it’s a pretty high volume I think that water flushes aren’t as much of a concern via J tube as would be large bolus of feedings!

So I work in a hospital and it’s just a nocturnal I usually do Q2 or Q4, unless it’s a pretty high volume I think that water flushes aren’t as much of a concern via J tube as would be large bolus of feedings!
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft