I have had the hardest time finding a job in this field ever since I finished my internship in 2011. I worked for WIC for 3 years and then two years as a part time bariatric dietitian. I would really like to get into a full time clinical position at a bigger hospital. I have applied to several places and only had two interviews for prn positions of which I was turned down for both. I'm not ready to give up, just not sure what else to do at this point. Outside of doing CEUs and webinars how else can I gain experience so that I can get into a clinical position?

I have had the hardest time finding a job in this field ever since I finished my internship in 2011. I worked for WIC for 3 years and then two years as a part time bariatric dietitian. I would really like to get into a full time clinical position at a bigger hospital. I have applied to several places and only had two interviews for prn positions of which I was turned down for both. I'm not ready to give up, just not sure what else to do at this point. Outside of doing CEUs and webinars how else can I gain experience so that I can get into a clinical position?

I empathize with you and I have been in a similar situation. It took me a year to find any RD job out of my internship which I finished in 2014. I graduated from college with a high GPA and was one of the lucky ones to get an internship right out of college. At the time, I really wanted a clinical position. I focused my resume on the clinical experience I had during my internship. I explained why I chose the university and internship I did - both were heavily clinically focused. I even sent my case studies from my internship with my application. I sent in probably 50+ applications. The bigger hospitals often didn't even respond to my applications! I had to find a job outside of dietetics to make ends meet during this time.

I think the biggest problem was I was trying to find a job in a large city/metropolitan area (Philly) because there is a lot of competition. On top of it, I went to school and did my internship several hours away from the city so my contacts were limited. I didn't have much of a choice about moving back to Philly because I was moving back in with my parents (no money). I expanded my job search to New Jersey, Delaware, and the western suburbs (as far as Reading). I eventually found a prn job in New Jersey (1.5 hour commute) for someone on maternity leave. It was a smaller health system and I assume they had a smaller budget- I guess I was worth the risk. My point is look at smaller health systems and expand your area where you are searching if possible.

You are being smart applying to prn jobs. It's likely your best bet of getting a clinical position without a ton of clinical experience- if you can go without the benefits. My prn job became full time in 6 months. Good luck to you!

I empathize with you and I have been in a similar situation. It took me a year to find any RD job out of my internship which I finished in 2014. I graduated from college with a high GPA and was one of the lucky ones to get an internship right out of college. At the time, I really wanted a clinical position. I focused my resume on the clinical experience I had during my internship. I explained why I chose the university and internship I did - both were heavily clinically focused. I even sent my case studies from my internship with my application. I sent in probably 50+ applications. The bigger hospitals often didn't even respond to my applications! I had to find a job outside of dietetics to make ends meet during this time. I think the biggest problem was I was trying to find a job in a large city/metropolitan area (Philly) because there is a lot of competition. On top of it, I went to school and did my internship several hours away from the city so my contacts were limited. I didn't have much of a choice about moving back to Philly because I was moving back in with my parents (no money). I expanded my job search to New Jersey, Delaware, and the western suburbs (as far as Reading). I eventually found a prn job in New Jersey (1.5 hour commute) for someone on maternity leave. It was a smaller health system and I assume they had a smaller budget- I guess I was worth the risk. My point is look at smaller health systems and expand your area where you are searching if possible. You are being smart applying to prn jobs. It's likely your best bet of getting a clinical position without a ton of clinical experience- if you can go without the benefits. My prn job became full time in 6 months. Good luck to you!

Where are you located? I got a full time job offer even before my internship ended, and there are multiple position open around me.

Where are you located? I got a full time job offer even before my internship ended, and there are multiple position open around me.
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft