Hello, I have a pt who has CKD, no stage specified in MD notes. Cr now 1.18, receiving hydration. Unknown baseline. Hx prostate CA, now noted to have gastric CA. Alb 2.8, requesting a prealb level. What would you suggest for protein estimation? I want to provide ^protein (1.2-1.4g/kg actual wt), however Im unsure if a high protein load will worsen the renal function. Normally I am not too worried about Cr in the 1's however I wanted to get other opinions. Thank you

Hello, I have a pt who has CKD, no stage specified in MD notes. Cr now 1.18, receiving hydration. Unknown baseline. Hx prostate CA, now noted to have gastric CA. Alb 2.8, requesting a prealb level. What would you suggest for protein estimation? I want to provide ^protein (1.2-1.4g/kg actual wt), however Im unsure if a high protein load will worsen the renal function. Normally I am not too worried about Cr in the 1's however I wanted to get other opinions. Thank you
Posted by nah282:
Is he underweight? I usually use ideal bw-sometimes actual can over estimate depending on their wt.
Posted by nah282:<BR>Hello, I have a pt who has CKD, no stage specified in MD notes. Cr now 1.18, receiving hydration. Unknown baseline. Hx prostate CA, now noted to have gastric CA. Alb 2.8, requesting a prealb level. What would you suggest for protein estimation? I want to provide ^protein (1.2-1.4g/kg actual wt), however Im unsure if a high protein load will worsen the renal function. Normally I am not too worried about Cr in the 1's however I wanted to get other opinions. Thank you Is he underweight? I usually use ideal bw-sometimes actual can over estimate depending on their wt.
Posted by shandstar:
Posted by nah282:
Is he underweight? I usually use ideal bw-sometimes actual can over estimate depending on their wt.
his wt is normal 75.5kg. Today his Cr is wnl.
Posted by shandstar:<BR>Posted by nah282:<BR>Hello, I have a pt who has CKD, no stage specified in MD notes. Cr now 1.18, receiving hydration. Unknown baseline. Hx prostate CA, now noted to have gastric CA. Alb 2.8, requesting a prealb level. What would you suggest for protein estimation? I want to provide ^protein (1.2-1.4g/kg actual wt), however Im unsure if a high protein load will worsen the renal function. Normally I am not too worried about Cr in the 1's however I wanted to get other opinions. Thank you Is he underweight? I usually use ideal bw-sometimes actual can over estimate depending on their wt. his wt is normal 75.5kg. Today his Cr is wnl.
Posted by nah282:
Posted by shandstar:
Posted by nah282:
his wt is normal 75.5kg. Today his Cr is wnl.
Hydration improved it I guess-i would still feed for the cancer and higher protein-you can always monitor Cr and bring it back down if Cr starts going back up.
Posted by nah282:<BR>Posted by shandstar:<BR>Posted by nah282:<BR>Hello, I have a pt who has CKD, no stage specified in MD notes. Cr now 1.18, receiving hydration. Unknown baseline. Hx prostate CA, now noted to have gastric CA. Alb 2.8, requesting a prealb level. What would you suggest for protein estimation? I want to provide ^protein (1.2-1.4g/kg actual wt), however Im unsure if a high protein load will worsen the renal function. Normally I am not too worried about Cr in the 1's however I wanted to get other opinions. Thank you Is he underweight? I usually use ideal bw-sometimes actual can over estimate depending on their wt. his wt is normal 75.5kg. Today his Cr is wnl. Hydration improved it I guess-i would still feed for the cancer and higher protein-you can always monitor Cr and bring it back down if Cr starts going back up.

I agree, the cancer would now take priority. You could even try somewhere closer to the higher end and monitor labs, esp BUN for tolerance.

I agree, the cancer would now take priority. You could even try somewhere closer to the higher end and monitor labs, esp BUN for tolerance.
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft