Are there any other renal RDs have to deal with their administrators and nursing putting pressure on you to redraw labs constantly in order to improve especially phosphorus so that the "numbers will look better?"

Are there any other renal RDs have to deal with their administrators and nursing putting pressure on you to redraw labs constantly in order to improve especially phosphorus so that the "numbers will look better?"
Posted by nutri11:
I haven't worked at a dialysis clinic but have a lot of friends who do and they tell me that's the only part they don't Iike about their job- having to " make the numbers look good." The clinics compete against one another and there is a financial incentive for patients Phos to decrease. That's what they tell me- and I think this happens across the board. I have friends who work at Fresenius, Davita. I told them this would bother me but they like the flexibility and the pay of the job.
Posted by nutri11:<BR>Are there any other renal RDs have to deal with their administrators and nursing putting pressure on you to redraw labs constantly in order to improve especially phosphorus so that the "numbers will look better?" I haven't worked at a dialysis clinic but have a lot of friends who do and they tell me that's the only part they don't Iike about their job- having to " make the numbers look good." The clinics compete against one another and there is a financial incentive for patients Phos to decrease. That's what they tell me- and I think this happens across the board. I have friends who work at Fresenius, Davita. I told them this would bother me but they like the flexibility and the pay of the job.
It does make me very uncomfortable. Just wondering if others have to deal with this too...thanks for responding.
Posted by shandstar:
Posted by nutri11:
I haven't worked at a dialysis clinic but have a lot of friends who do and they tell me that's the only part they don't Iike about their job- having to " make the numbers look good." The clinics compete against one another and there is a financial incentive for patients Phos to decrease. That's what they tell me- and I think this happens across the board. I have friends who work at Fresenius, Davita. I told them this would bother me but they like the flexibility and the pay of the job.
It does make me very uncomfortable. Just wondering if others have to deal with this too...thanks for responding. Posted by shandstar:<BR>Posted by nutri11:<BR>Are there any other renal RDs have to deal with their administrators and nursing putting pressure on you to redraw labs constantly in order to improve especially phosphorus so that the "numbers will look better?" I haven't worked at a dialysis clinic but have a lot of friends who do and they tell me that's the only part they don't Iike about their job- having to " make the numbers look good." The clinics compete against one another and there is a financial incentive for patients Phos to decrease. That's what they tell me- and I think this happens across the board. I have friends who work at Fresenius, Davita. I told them this would bother me but they like the flexibility and the pay of the job.

Yes, DaVita definitely puts pressure on its RDs to constantly redraw phos, pth, alb, ca. It is very unethical and not in the best interest of the patients. I believe that if the administrators/nurses want the labs drawn constantly THEY should do it and not try to get their RDs to do their dirty work. At the end of the day the administrators/executives are the ones getting the big bonuses not the RDs

Yes, DaVita definitely puts pressure on its RDs to constantly redraw phos, pth, alb, ca. It is very unethical and not in the best interest of the patients. I believe that if the administrators/nurses want the labs drawn constantly THEY should do it and not try to get their RDs to do their dirty work. At the end of the day the administrators/executives are the ones getting the big bonuses not the RDs

So yes we need to recheck phos, calcium, pth as needed. Sometimes for the numbers but still beneficial for pt to see their good efforts and for RD to see what works as far as encouragement and education. It does take time to do but I love it its like solving a crossword puzzle. I am always busy and can come and go as I please I haven't set an alarm clock since Ive been working there (3 months). As long as I chart on all 89 pts, do my rechecks, and manage all the other 103 things Im good. So I work hard at beginning of month to chill the last week

So yes we need to recheck phos, calcium, pth as needed. Sometimes for the numbers but still beneficial for pt to see their good efforts and for RD to see what works as far as encouragement and education. It does take time to do but I love it its like solving a crossword puzzle. I am always busy and can come and go as I please I haven't set an alarm clock since Ive been working there (3 months). As long as I chart on all 89 pts, do my rechecks, and manage all the other 103 things Im good. So I work hard at beginning of month to chill the last week

For all those dialysis RD's out there. What is your case load? I work a full 40 and have over 120 patients.

For all those dialysis RD's out there. What is your case load? I work a full 40 and have over 120 patients.
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft