|Job Description & Responsibilities:
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
The clinical dietitian provides professional nutrition services for the care and treatment of patients, by screening, assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating individual patient care according to Food and Nutrition Services policies, procedures and standards of care, in conjunction with the medical staff and other ancillary services.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
* Assesses nutritional status of patients and initiates appropriate nutritional care in accordance with established guidelines.
* Develops and implements nutrition care plans based upon assessment of the patient. Evaluates patient’s response, updates care plan and documents assessment plan and response in the patient record.
* Instructs or counsels patients and patients significant others on nutritional needs, diet modifications, and food/drug interactions.
* Teaches nutrition classes for patients, hospital personnel and community groups. Assumes preceptor role for new Associates, diet techs, student dietitians and/or student volunteers and dietetic interns.
* Resource for physicians, hospital personnel and the community regarding nutrition practices. Maintains knowledge of current trends in nutrition. Maintains professional standards by participating in inservices, committees, etc.
* Participates in the monitoring and evaluation of clinical nutrition policies and procedures.
* Monitors and evaluates nutritional care provided by dietetic technicians.
Job Requirement/ General Requirements
* Current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
Work Experience * None Education * Bachelors degree in clinical nutrition from accredited college or university. Masters degree in clinical nutrition beneficial.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
* Clinical knowledge and analytical abilities necessary to formulate effective nutrition care plans in conjunction with other multi-disciplinary team members to provide appropriate patient care.
* Demonstrated interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and appropriately with patients, families, physicians and other hospital associates.
* Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients serviced in her/his assigned service area as related to the principle duties and responsibilities of the position. The skills and knowledge needed to provide such care may be gained through education, training or experience.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.