I've started over in my career, in life. I mulled over becoming an RD for years. Literally years. After some major life issues I decided there is no time like the present. So I began working towards getting a degree.

By the time I graduate I'll be 51.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged about being "so old" and wondering if all this schooling it worth it. Will anyone hire me? Accept me into an internship? I'm looking to go into Clinical or perhaps dietetic care.

I will complete my degree regardless.

I've started over in my career, in life. I mulled over becoming an RD for years. Literally years. After some major life issues I decided there is no time like the present. So I began working towards getting a degree. By the time I graduate I'll be 51. I'm feeling a bit discouraged about being "so old" and wondering if all this schooling it worth it. Will anyone hire me? Accept me into an internship? I'm looking to go into Clinical or perhaps dietetic care. I will complete my degree regardless.

Hello Shelly,

I am also 51 years old and a career changer. I graduated from my internship in 2015 and began working in the field about 6 mos ago (my husband fell terminally ill and I had to caregivers for him for a year). Our age is one of the qualities companies and internships are looking for. We bring life experience, maturity, etc. Patients are more likely to respect your wisdom and professional advice because of age. When you apply to internships and/or jobs sell yourself on life experiences. Trust me AND is promoting diversity in the demographic of dietitians with the hope of reaching the diverse population of the patients/clients we serve. I actually ran a Dietetic Students for Diversity Program out of San Francisco State University where we would do outreach at different community colleges and high schools recruiting applicants of diverse characteristics to apply to our Dietetics program. The goal is to bring more diversity to Dietetics, i.e., older, different ethnic esp. Mexican, black, native american (these are ethnic groups with high prevalence of diabetes, HTN, and other chronic disease due to nutrition), men (only 1-2% of dietitians are men), applicants with other degrees or experience related to food/health, i.e., culinary degree, psychology, botany, nursing etc. So Yes Shelly you will be just fine!

Sybil

Hello Shelly, I am also 51 years old and a career changer. I graduated from my internship in 2015 and began working in the field about 6 mos ago (my husband fell terminally ill and I had to caregivers for him for a year). Our age is one of the qualities companies and internships are looking for. We bring life experience, maturity, etc. Patients are more likely to respect your wisdom and professional advice because of age. When you apply to internships and/or jobs sell yourself on life experiences. Trust me AND is promoting diversity in the demographic of dietitians with the hope of reaching the diverse population of the patients/clients we serve. I actually ran a Dietetic Students for Diversity Program out of San Francisco State University where we would do outreach at different community colleges and high schools recruiting applicants of diverse characteristics to apply to our Dietetics program. The goal is to bring more diversity to Dietetics, i.e., older, different ethnic esp. Mexican, black, native american (these are ethnic groups with high prevalence of diabetes, HTN, and other chronic disease due to nutrition), men (only 1-2% of dietitians are men), applicants with other degrees or experience related to food/health, i.e., culinary degree, psychology, botany, nursing etc. So Yes Shelly you will be just fine! Sybil

I agree. I also went through a career change though I am a little younger. But I did as previously stated and sold my life experiences to get an internship and job.

Good luck

I agree. I also went through a career change though I am a little younger. But I did as previously stated and sold my life experiences to get an internship and job. Good luck

I graduated my degree plan at age 53, finished my internship at age 54, and had no problem at all finding work. I had a clinical inpatient position at a hospital to start, but the commute was too far, so now I am an outpatient clinical/bariatric dietitian closer to home. Both of these job opportunities arose from my internship network. Have faith in yourself and work hard. It pays off.

I graduated my degree plan at age 53, finished my internship at age 54, and had no problem at all finding work. I had a clinical inpatient position at a hospital to start, but the commute was too far, so now I am an outpatient clinical/bariatric dietitian closer to home. Both of these job opportunities arose from my internship network. Have faith in yourself and work hard. It pays off.

I finished in my 40's. It took me a few months to find work, probably because that was the time the economy was in the toilet and everyone was having trouble finding work; there are all sorts of jobs posted nowadays, though, so I wouldn't worry to much there. My only problem was in my clinical placement all the RDs were younger and wanted to talk ALL THE TIME about weddings and babies and all that stuff, I would get frustrated because I felt I had absolutely nothing in common with them, I didn't fit in, and I wasn't well liked. It got through it by remembering all I had to was hold on for a few months, do a the best job I can and pass the internship and so in the grand scheme of things who cares.

I finished in my 40's. It took me a few months to find work, probably because that was the time the economy was in the toilet and everyone was having trouble finding work; there are all sorts of jobs posted nowadays, though, so I wouldn't worry to much there. My only problem was in my clinical placement all the RDs were younger and wanted to talk ALL THE TIME about weddings and babies and all that stuff, I would get frustrated because I felt I had absolutely nothing in common with them, I didn't fit in, and I wasn't well liked. It got through it by remembering all I had to was hold on for a few months, do a the best job I can and pass the internship and so in the grand scheme of things who cares.

Thank you for our input. That gives me some relief. I was concerned about how long it will take me to complete the courses and an internship. But I can see that this is to my advantage.

~~Shelly

Thank you for our input. That gives me some relief. I was concerned about how long it will take me to complete the courses and an internship. But I can see that this is to my advantage. ~~Shelly

Thank you for your input. I agree hard work does pay off. I'm glad to see there are others out there who have gone before me. smile

~~Shelly

Thank you for your input. I agree hard work does pay off. I'm glad to see there are others out there who have gone before me. :) ~~Shelly

Good points. Just keep holding on. smile Experience and persistence are good qualities.

~~Shelly

Good points. Just keep holding on. :) Experience and persistence are good qualities. ~~Shelly
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft