Dietitian Central for Nutrition Professionals   Home   Continuing Education    Dietitian Jobs      Dietitian Directory   Experts Corner Surveys Forums Advertisers
follow me on facebook   follow me on Twitter   follow me on instagram   follow me on pinterest   follow me on linkedin
• EXPERTS CORNER HOME • Profile of Experts
18,916 Registered Members    /    Join   Login


Our panel welcomes the opportunity to provide this free service to our online community. While experts are expected to answer questions to the best of their ability, it is also expected that members posing questions adhere to some general practice guidelines. Please...

Because of the various guidelines, rules, and regulations in different countries, Experts Corner is provided as a resource for practicing dietitians in the US only. Please do not ask questions regarding practices in countries other than the US.
Ask one question at a time.
Do not ask the same question to more than one expert. Duplicates will be removed.
Use your judgement as to how involved your question will be. Most experts have practices of their own and do charge for their consulting time.
You do not need to be part of the Health Care profession to pose a question. However, you do need to be a registered member of this Web site. Non health care professionals may join as part of the General Public group. Membership is free.
These are public boards. Please do not include personal messages, personal phone numbers or email addresses.
Information is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice. Always consult with your doctor if you feel you need medical advice or treatment.
Experts reserve the right to decline any question, e.g., lack of expertise, inappropriateness, conflict of interests, etc.
As with all postings on this Web site, please be courteous, do not post advertisements, or use inappropriate language.
Questions that have not received a response within 10 days may be removed at our discretion.

  Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
Question submitted on 09/01/07 by reshmaray to Mansi Shah:

Hi Mansi!
I'm a Clinical Nutritionist in a multidiscilinery hospital
in Kolkata, India. Here I do use Modified Harris Benedict
Equation (MHBE) with activity & stress factor to calculate
the energy requirement of any patient. My question is that
to plan a parenteral  nutrition therapy, how should I
calculate the energy requirement, with that MHBE only or
something else? I'm asking this because with that formula we
are getting the energy requirement when we are having food
through G.I. tract... as some kind of losses are there
during digestion & absorption, whereas in TPN the whole
nutrition we supplied directly into blood therefore chances
of loss of energy is negligible there. 
Eagerly waiting for your reply...

Reshma Ray
  Response provided on 09/02/07 by Mansi Shah:

Thanks for your question. There is no reason to use a 
different calculation method based on where you feed the 
In the US, standard practice doesn't suggest use of a 
different calculation method when feeding enterally or 
orally or parenterally.
I use the same calculation MHME whether it is an oral, tube 
feeding or parenteral feeding.


  Member's Final Comment (reshmaray):

Thank you Mansi for such a clear cut answer.


*Information is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice. Always consult with your doctor if you feel you need medical advice or treatment.
**If you find an entry that contains erroneous or misleading information, please let us know. Email us at
***Questions that remain unanswered for longer than 10 days may be removed at our discretion.


This expert is not currently an "Active" member of our experts panel.